Ahhh, it’s been a couple weeks. It’s totally time for some writer accountability, don’t-cha-think? Pieces of Me – I’m excited to announce that after much thought and prodding from my beta readers, I’ve decided to pitch Pieces of Me to the big 6 5! Well really, an agent first then the big six. So look Read more about Writing Update[…]
I know it’s a daunting task… at least it feels like a daunting task when you start. And while, yes you are thrilled when it’s over, it’s also very rewarding to get through it.
Below are the steps I took to write my synopsis… in 7 DAYS… [..more…]
Let me count the ways…
- You prevent me from querying some agents who require them.
- You make me spend countless hours thinking, writing, cursing, rewriting, more thinking and still more rewriting and I still probably don’t have it right.
- You claim I can only use 1/5000ths of the words I used to write the novel to get my point across. That’s like putting on pantyhose when you are wet!
- You claim I can’t just write “READ THE BOOK” and be done with it… I mean really, what gives? That should be totally acceptable.
- You claim there should be “no voice” only the details… yet it’s so dry you choke on it like a chicken bone.
- You claim there is “too much info” in one place and “not enough” in another… that is like asking your Great Grandmother for the time and then getting upset when she tells you where she got the watch, who she was with, how much it cost and when the last time was she was asked for the time. No really.
- You make me go bald in the process and drink way more caffeine then should be legal.
You know… writing all the reasons I loath thee, makes me glare at my monitor. But I do have one reason I don’t loath thee…
- Because when it’s right… IT’S AWESOME.
It’s a love/hate thing.
I know… I know…
It is very hard to be in two different genres at the same time. I know this. It’s hard. It’s a lot of work. It’s time consuming. But while it is all of these things and more… It’s NOT impossible. Which is why I’ve got to try.
If I was asked to sum up the Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers Conference in one word, that word would be: WOW.
The networking opportunities are endless! However, not everywhere is the appropriate place to use your networking strategies. The elevator; yes. The coffee shop; yes. The workshops; yes. The dinner table; maybe. The bathroom; a big NO. And this means ANY bathroom! I just can’t stress enough that even if an agent uses the personal bathroom in your own hotel room, this is not a time to pitch to her. No, I didn’t try to pitch to Sandra Bond, but she did use our bathroom. Our room was next door to the hospitality suite and there was a line! So why not. […more…]
Check out my post on Google Alerts, you will not be sorry you did! It worked and I am happy to have been part of the experiment. 😉
This morning I woke to a full email box. Some good news, some bad news, some news news, and no terrible news. At least it shouldn’t be terrible. It had me looking at the ledge, but it’s definitely not terrible. LOL If you get that reference… well… wish me luck as I jump off and make a big SPLASH! […more…]
Being away for vacation for seven weeks is amazing… but it means I have tons to do now that I am home. Like update you all on the progress of my novels, life, the pursuit of an agent, etc… So pardon the Epicosity of this blog post…
It’s almost time for my vacation hiatus to end… We leave California in 56 hours. Not that I’m counting, but I know people who will appreciate the count down 😉 My vacation has been awesome. I missed my family dearly (it had been 3 years since visiting last! TOO LONG!) and spent some awesome time with everyone! We had Read more about Vacation Hiatus…[…]
Did you know it doesn’t take a break when you are on vacation? Well, I suppose you could take a break on vacation, but I haven’t. So today I sent out a few more queries… okay fifteen. I have my goals to meet here and I haven’t been sticking to my guns since the “No’s” have come in… My goal was to send at least two more queries each time I received a “No”… but since I was on vacation I hadn’t done it for lack of time to sit and research or whatever. That is my excuse anyway…
But now, since I have some down time… I counted the “No’s” that came in and sent some new queries out. Now we wait again… FUN! 🙂 Indeed it’s fun in warped kinda way…
However, I thought you would be interested to see my statistics from my query process.